Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz1UVWqVlJh

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Oapie's Story.



“Abused sweet mom and her pups are homeless. Store employees are feeding her. She shows up at the store for food but does not bring her pups. Pups are said to be about 10 weeks old. If anyone would like to help her out, please let us know. Employees think she has been abused - One thing is for certain, something bad has happened to her. She needs vet care and a safe place to go. If anyone can help sponsor her and her pups and/or foster her, please let us know. DONATIONS: For the care of HOPE: Dr. Martin's office.



This is Hope’s story.  
 In January 2013, I guess I was feeling empty, like almost something was missing from my life (dramatic, I know).  I went and volunteered at our local shelter, as I always did one Monday night and Rose, one of the workers there told me that they have had a lot of rescues that they’ve been pulling and needed fosters or they would have to be put down. My heart immediately sank, I hate when people tell me things like that. It almost makes me feel like I’M the super hero, like I’M the one who has to foster the 30 dogs to save their lives. I’M the deciding factor. Even though I know that I’m truly not the deciding factor I left my number for Rose to have anyway just in case they absolutely needed me under certain conditions.  

 I left and not even ten minutes later I got a call. It felt like I was in an adoption process for a child! She told me they had a lab mix who needed a foster home and that she has a current foster but that she is moving and could not take the dog with her. Just out of instinct I said yes. I mean, I had a fully capable fence, how much harm could a dog be just to house until I found it an owner, especially when she was fixed, fully potty trained, and crate trained? 

That same Monday two people knocked on my door. I had butterflies like no bodies business. I answered the door and in walks this sad, chunky white pitbull-lab mix. I could tell she could feel the energy that her foster mom was leaving and not taking her with her. I pitied the dog. She was pretty beat up and when I heard her story I felt even worse. This dog was 1.5 years old, had puppies, abused, and never had a place to call home.  She had a huge gash on her back from where she had either been beaten or neglected, and she had a scar on her face from where hot oil was poured on her. I eventually found out about her puppies and the heart ache got worse. I immediately got attached. Her foster mom and I took her to the back yard to play and then her foster mom (The only mom she’s ever known) left without her. I watched Hope sit at the fence door and cry as she watched her mom leave her. That night Hope didn’t know how to act, she was quiet and shy. 

After a week full of car rides, walks, and swims I could quickly grasp her sense of being. She was a sensitive goof just like me. She began to warm up and snuggle with me. She slept with me in the bed instead of her dog bed on the ground and she would wait for me to get home to go on a walk. I took her to the dog park everyday unless it was rainy. I began to put coconut oil on her scars and she began to quickly heal up. After a few weeks I knew she was the one. Basically my soul mate in dog form. I felt that even though I lived far away from my parents and sisters this dog has helped me cope more about the loneliness. She’s just so loving, goofy, respectful, and overall lazy. 

I never once took her to go meet new parents because deep down I knew I was it for her. How could I trust someone to take care of her or love her more than I do after what had happened to her? My foster time came up and it was either time for me to let her go or for her to get adopted. I knew I wasn’t allowed to get a dog yet so my anxiety started to thicken. I signed the papers. She was mine. February 22, 2013 Hope became Oapie Warren, my best friend. 

Why Oapie you may ask? Several reasons. Hope never fit her, it was too classy. She needed something that described her in every way. Her other foster mom called her Hopee as a nickname and so I dropped the H, Oapie it was.  It’s been almost three years and I don’t regret her one bit. She’s saved my life a couple times and I don’t know what I would do without this dog. I am honestly blessed to be her owner and everyone who meets her falls in love with her. Maybe she’s thankful to have a home, or to be loved? But it works both ways. Without her I wouldn’t have a home or be unconditionally loved.  This is just proof that fostering saves lives. Not only Oapie’s, but mine as well. 



This was Oapie right before I met her. Three years  later, this dog doesn't even look like Oapie, she is literally unrecognizable. THIS is Oapie now.
As you can see, this is one happy girl who is just thankful for life. I have helped people save everything from baby ducks, dogs, to kittens and she has loved every single animal that we have helped. Her fun loving spirit is what most people need in the world. If you or a friend are looking for a dog or pet, always check your local shelters and rescues. I am a big fanatic to giving lives second chances. Just because an animal is purebred doesn't mean its perfect. Save lives and start spay and neutering your pets! 


XOXO Sara and Oapie





No comments:

Post a Comment